In this guide, we'll go through everything you need to know about connecting Zapier & Notion, and what you can build once you have.
- What triggers/searches/actions are available with Notion's Zapier integration?
- How to connect your Notion account to Zapier
- What sort of things can I do with Notion's Zapier integration?
- Can you automate Notion using other tools?
- Automating Notion with Integromat
- Automating Notion with n8n
- Want help automating Notion in your business?
With the much-anticipated launch of Notion's API finally behind us there is now a Zapier Notion integration available to use:
Notion Integrations | Connect Your Apps with Zapier
Instantly connect Notion with the apps you use everyday. Notion integrates with 3,000 other apps on Zapier - it's the easiest way to automate your work.
What triggers/searches/actions are available with Notion's Zapier integration?
For now, it's quite a basic integration - you can only interact with database items, and not pages. This will probably change as the integration develops and moves out of beta.
How to connect your Notion account to Zapier
Zapier have published this in-depth guide to get your started:
How to use Zapier to automate Notion-and turn it into the perfect information hub | Zapier
Most people have a collection of productivity apps they use to take notes, list tasks, and track projects-but doesn't that seem a little inefficient? Perhaps Notion saw the irony, because it brings together features and functions from apps like Airtable, Asana, Google Docs, and more into one streamlined app so you can store all your information in one spot.
- You'll need to be an admin of the workspace you want to connect.
- Next, you need to create a bot in your Notion account. Go to the Integrations tab in Settings. Click on the link that says Develop your own integrations.
- Give your bot a name, click to create it, then click to reveal your secret token. Copy this as you'll need it back over in Zapier.
- In Zapier, click to create a new zap, select Notion as either your trigger or action step, and on the next tab, you'll be prompted to connect your Notion account using the token you just copied.
- Once successful, the final thing you need to do is invite your Notion bot to the board you want to connect to. Do this using the blue button on the top right of your Notion board - the bot you created will be an available option (make sure to allow edit access).
If you're a more visual learned, check out this video guide from Vensy Krishna where she steps through connecting Notion to Zapier and creating new database items fro Google Forms submissions (skip to 8:28):
What sort of things can I do with Notion's Zapier integration?
Zapier suggest some ideas including:
- Create and update documents
- Track tasks and projects
- Organize customer information
- Stay on top of changes in Notion
- Log useful information
They also published some more detailed advice in the from of a guest post from Notion expert William Nutt:
What a Notion expert recommends automating in your workspace | Zapier
At home and at work, it's common to have recurring tasks-often at regular frequencies and involving multiple tools. Personally, I aggregate financial transactions from numerous sources in a Notion database, then meticulously update their statuses. I compose online posts, then publish them in real-time to their respective platforms. I schedule meetings in one app, then plan them in another.
Can you automate Notion using other tools?
Yes you can!
Automating Notion with Integromat
Integromat has a Notion integration which is notable for having more functionality than Zapier's, including the ability to retrieve content from and add to existing pages. It also has a "Make an API Call" action step which allows you to utilise all the Notion API endpoints.
Here's a guide from Max van Collenburg to get you started:
They've also created this tutorial, showing how you can send tweets from a Notion board:
Can You Tweet From Notion? Yes, and Here's How to Do It [Tutorial]
One of the most valued aspects about Notion is the possibility to manage everything from your base. And thanks to the recent introduction of the Notion API, this applies to tweeting as well.
Automating Notion with n8n
Similarly, n8n has a Notion integration that allows you to interact with blocks, pages, database items and users - making it the most comprehensive of all three services.
To give you some inspiration, the n8n team has written this guide:
5 tasks you can automate with the new Notion API ⚡
If you're into productivity and organisation hacks, you've probably heard of (and even got to love) Notion, the all-in-one workspace app that allows you to take notes, create databases, manage projects, and schedule tasks-all with highly customisable designs.
Want help automating Notion in your business?
We'd love to talk to you about your business and how automation could transform your business. Just tell us what you need and we'll get back to you within a few hours.